Running... Again?

Image
  If you know me you know there was a time about 10 years ago or so where I was running. A lot. At least 5 days a week and at least 5 miles a run. I wasn’t training, I wasn’t preparing for a race or a marathon. I just found myself enjoying the time spent running. I wasn’t obsessed with numbers, but I kept track of them all and liked seeing improvements in time and distances. It was good physical health and mental health. Then I tweaked my knee. Not bad enough that I couldn’t walk on it, just a tweak that told me I needed to back off of running for a little bit. So I decided on 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks I aborted a run very early as the pain was still there. 2 weeks became 3, became a month, became 5 years. 

Kinetic Kraziness Day 1

This past Memorial Day weekend I got to checkout the annual Kinetic Grand Championship held in Humboldt. It's a pretty crazy fun event where teams make moveable art that is to go over road, sand dunes, and water. There are a list of rules to be followed, but the contraptions have to be people powered is the main one. The race takes place over 3 days and starts in Arcata, CA and ends (hopefully) in Ferndale, CA. Click the photos for a larger view.


Day 1 is a land affair travelling on roads then for some off-road fun on sand dunes. I was unable to catch the start of the race and was hoping to catch them in the dunes. But, like many Humboldt events (and people) it was running on Humboldt time, an unofficial time zone once you cross the Redwood Curtain. I've yet to figure out how to set my watch accordingly, but after waiting far too long I grew impatient and was on my way to leave when the first couple machines made their way by. Some are simple pedal contraptions, with others getting far more complicated and artistic. Since I didn't stick around long enough to get more shots, these aren't just my best shots but my only shots.


The more interesting Day 2 shots will follow. More photos, more machines, and more fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pros and (Mostly) Cons of Upgrading to a 4K Monitor

Running... Again?